Finding a home

Property Pool Plus

If you would like to be considered for social housing on Merseyside you need to join the Property Pool Plus housing register.

Property Pool Plus is where most social landlords, such as housing associations, across the region advertise their properties. Social housing used to be referred to as council housing.

You can also register with social landlords who are not on the Property Pool Plus list. If you wish to do this you must register with those landlords directly. Liverpool City Council has a list of housing associations with properties in Liverpool.

View list of Housing Associations.

Ministry of Defence Referral Scheme

You might also be eligible for the Ministry of Defence’s Referral Scheme. This means that you have been identified as potentially having difficulty in accessing social housing because you will not be classed as having a priority need (for example, you do not have a health need). To find out more about the scheme contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO).

Call: 01252 787 635


Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES)

If you are a single service leaver you can also get information through the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES)

Call: 01748 833797 / 872940 / 830191


Private landlords

In Liverpool, private landlords must get a licence from Liverpool City Council for their properties if they are within 16 wards. This ensures that properties meet safety standards and that landlords are considered to be fit and proper. If you intend to rent a home from a private landlord make sure that the landlord and property is licensed before signing a tenancy agreement.

You can check that the property is licensed by searching the register of licensed properties on Liverpool City Council's website.

Forces help-to-buy scheme

If you are thinking about buying your own home there may be help available through the government’s help-to-buy scheme. This allows you to borrow up to 50 per cent of your salary, up to £25,000, interest free.

People serving in the regular forces are eligible if they have completed the pre-requisite length of service, have more than six months left to serve, and meet the right medical categories.

The scheme will not run indefinitely but has been extended until 31st December 2019.

You can find out more by visiting

Useful links

Liverpool City Council

Property Pool Plus

Housing associations

Register of licensed properties