Social care and wellbeing

Care and support

If you have a physical disability, sensory impairment, or you have mental ill health, including post-traumatic stress disorder, you may be eligible for further care and support.

To find out if you do have eligible needs, you will need to have a needs assessment. This will be carried out by a social worker and should be arranged through Liverpool City Council.

If you have eligible needs you will get a support plan setting out the outcomes you want to achieve and the services you might need. Depending on your level of income you might be required to make a financial contribution towards the cost of these services.

If you aren’t eligible for services via Liverpool City Council you can find out about other services in your area by using the Live Well Directory.


Your mental health is as important as your physical health. If you access support via your GP, you might be referred to a service provided by Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust.

Mersey Care’s services also include Talk Liverpool, a free service offering psychological therapies for adults who are feeling depressed or anxious, including face-to-face courses and online therapy.

Veterans’ mental health charity Combat Stress also offers advice and support, and you can find plenty of local services on the Live Well Directory.

Physical wellbeing

For the 12 months after you’ve left service you’re entitled to a reduced-price corporate membership to Liverpool City Council’s Lifestyles leisure centres.

Serving members of all branches of the Armed Forces are also entitled to receive reduced-price corporate membership of Lifestyles.

All serving and former serving members of the Armed Forces, including reservists, can take part in Be Military Fit (BMF) classes for free.

You can sign up online uploading a screenshot of your military ID (MOD 90/91) or your service record.

In Liverpool, classes take place in Sefton Park.  Birkenhead Park also holds classes. For times and sessions please search for your preferred park.

Veterans with mesothelioma

Veterans who were exposed to asbestos during their service before 1987 and have developed mesothelioma can now claim compensation from the Ministry of Defence.

Charity Mesothelioma UK is running the UK Armed Forces Project and can offer advice and information on how to make a claim and other benefit entitlements.

Useful links

Lifestyles fitness centres

Needs assessment

Combat Stress

Live Well Directory